Skip to main content

Display Energy Certificates

Which buildings need a Display Energy Certificate (DEC)?

All public buildings visited by the public over 500m2, are required to have a Display Energy Certificate (DEC) and Advisory Report AR). Examples of buildings that require the annual DEC assessment are national and local government buildings, museums, council leisure centres, swimming pools, libraries, colleges and schools.

What is a Display Energy Certificate and Advisory Report?

A Display Energy Certificate is an A3 size certificate (see sample below) which must be prominently displayed in all public buildings accessed frequently and regularly by the public. The certificate gives information to the public about the energy usage of that building and raises awareness of energy used in public buildings and allows public authorities to demonstrate the action they have taken to reduce their carbon footprint..

The building is given an Operational rating (OR) which relates to the buildings energy usage and CO2 emissions over a period of 12 months. The Operational Rating translates to a building category from A to G, with A being the best performing and G being the worst. The Advisory Report contains recommendations to improve and reduce energy usage.

Display Energy Certificates are valid for 1 year and Advisory Reports are up to 7 years. Operational ratings for the last 3 years will be displayed on the certificate where these are available.

Download the CLG guide on Display Energy Certificates here
Sample Display Energy Certificate (DEC)
Who can produce a Display Energy Certificates (DEC)?

A Display Energy Certificate and Advisory Report can only be produced by an accredited DEC Energy Assessor such as Surrey Energy Management.



07734 253536


01932 846322



To discuss your exact requirements in greater detail, or to obtain a quotation please contact us on:
Email:  -  Telephone: 07734 253536